ALENEX 99

Michael T. Goodrich goodrich at michigan.cs.jhu.edu
Fri Jul 3 17:47:58 PDT 1998

 		CALL FOR PAPERS
		   ALENEX99

Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experimentation

                 January 15-16, 1999
          Omni Hotel,  Baltimore, Maryland

The first Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experimentation
(ALENEX99) is sponsored by DIMACS, the Center for Discrete Mathematics
and Theoretical Computer Science, with additional support from SIAM.
This workshop will be immediately before SODA 99, which will be held in
the same location.

The aim of ALENEX99 is to provide a forum for the presentation
of original research in the implementation and experimental
evaluation of algorithms and data structures.  Papers are invited
which present significant case studies in experimental analysis
(which may tighten, extend, or otherwise improve current
theoretical results), or in the implementation, testing, and
evaluation of algorithms for realistic environments and scenarios.
We also invite papers that address methodological issues and standards
in the context of empirical research on algorithms and data structures.

The scientific program will include invited talks as well as
contributed research papers, and will include time for discussion
and debate of topics in this rapidly evolving research area.  It is
planned to publish the proceedings of ALENEX99 as a volume of the
Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.

This workshop is colocated with SODA '99 and will be held on the
two days preceeding that conference.  A (10-page or 2-page) paper
which has been reviewed and accepted for presentation at SODA is
not eligible for submission to ALENEX.  However we recognize
that some research projects spawn multiple papers that elaborate on
different aspects of the work, and we are willing to respond to
inquiries about overlapping papers.

Authors are invited to submit 10-page extended abstracts to the
organizers by SEPTEMBER 11, 1998.  For physical submissions,
send 10 copies of the extended abstract to:

	Catherine C. McGeoch
	Amherst College
	Amherst,  MA 01002

Instructions about electronic submissions will appear at our
conference website: http://www.cs.jhu.edu/Conferences/ALENEX99/

Extended abstracts will be made available to participants at the
workshop.  The deadline for submission of full papers for publication
in the proceedings is JANUARY 15, 1999.

The ALENEX Workshop is intended to alternate in future years with the
(European) ALEX conference.  The last ALEX meeting was ALEX98, and
the next is planned for the year 2000.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

Richard Anderson
	University of Washington, Seattle, WA