Workshop on Progressive Transmission of Geometry

taubin at us.ibm.com taubin at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 3 09:38:21 PDT 1998

-----
Workshop on Multi-Resolution Representation of
3D Geometry for Progressive Transmission
-----

To be held prior to IEEE Visualization'98,
on Saturday, October 17th, 1998 1-5 pm.

Workshop Organizers:

Andre Gueziec
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
gueziec at watson.ibm.com

Gabriel Taubin
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
taubin at watson.ibm.com

-----
Workshop description:
-----

There has been recently considerable interest in methods for
progressively delivering 3D surface geometry across a network or to a
display terminal. A few techniques have been proposed in the past few
years, which can be broadly classified as methods based on polygonal
surfaces or wavelets. It is a particularly good time to discuss these
issues now, because of the current interest in visualization of large
surface datasets, e.g.  geographic data sets.  Also, there is
considerable activity in the standardization of such techniques, for
instance in VRML and MPEG.

The purpose of this workshop is to bring together experts involved in
approaches using polygonal surfaces as well as approaches using
wavelets for visualization problems involving geometric data where the
issue of progressive transmission or display is important.  We will
attempt to answer the questions listed below, as well as other
questions that the participants feel important to address:

 - What is the relation between wavelet-based approaches and
   polygonal surface based approaches for progressive transmission of 3D
   geometry? Are they fundamentally the same? Is one approach superior
   to the other?

 - How can progressive transmission and view-dependent refinement of 3D
   geometry work together best?

 - How do current methods handle singular (non-manifold) input geometry?

 - Is it important to change the topology during progressive transmission?

 - How to cope with lost packets during transmission (assuming a
   protocol allowing that is used)? How to adapt the resolution/bitrate
   to the transmission bandwidth.

We are planning to write a report on this workshop and publish it
in a prominent journal or magazine. We may also decide to publish the
proceedings.

-----
If you wish to participate
-----

"Viz" requires that we limit participation to 20 people.  As the
workshop is scheduled to last 4 hours, we will do half talks and half
discussion.  We would like interested people to submit a 2 page
abstract if they want to give a talk, or 2 page statement if they want
to participate to the discussions without giving a talk.

If you wish to participate, please send your submission to
gueziec at watson.ibm.com, either in postscript or pdf form. Feel free to
send us e-mail for any further inquiry.