Annoucing A Computing Research Repository

Joseph O'Rourke orourke at grendel.csc.smith.edu
Fri Sep 18 09:01:43 PDT 1998

Those who attended SoCG in June, or who read the minutes of the
business meeting posted here, will remember the discussion of
an impending eprint archive.  It is a reality as of September 15th.
See the announcement below from Joe Halpern.  I encourage you all
to visit http://xxx.lanl.gov/archive/cs/intro.html and start
posting your papers to the archive.  Note that "computational
geometry" has its own subject area, just as we requested as
a result of the business meeting discussion.

Annoucing A Computing Research Repository

Researchers have made their papers available by putting them on personal
web pages, departmental pages, and on various ad hoc sites known only
to cognoscenti.  Until now, there has not been a single repository to
which researchers from the whole field of computing can submit reports.

This is about to change.  Through a partnership of ACM, the Los Alamos
e-Print archive, and NCSTRL (Networked Computer Science Technical
Reference Library), an online Computing Research Repository (CoRR) is
being established.  The Repository has been integrated into the
collection of over 20,000 computer science research reports and other
material available through NCSTRL (http://www.ncstrl.org) and will be
linked with the ACM Digital Library.  Most importantly, the Repository
will be available to all members of the community at no charge.

We encourage you to start using the Repository right away.  For more details,
see http://xxx.lanl.gov/archive/cs/intro.html.  That site provides
information on how to submit documents, browse, search, and subscribe to
get notification of new articles of interest.  Please spread the word
among your colleagues and students.  CoRR will only gain in value as
more researchers use it.

See http://www.acm.org/repository for a more detailed description of CoRR.