decomposition of non-convex objects

Vadim Shapiro vshapiro at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 19 14:30:40 PDT 1999

This problem is a special case of the boundary to CSG conversion,
where CSG form is limited to the union of intersection (sum of products)
terms.   Some references:

@Article{sv91a,
 author = {V. Shapiro and D. L. Vossler},
 title = {Construction and optimization of {CSG} representations},
 journal = {Computer-aided design},
 volume = 23, number = 1,
 pages = {4--20},
 month = jan,
 year = 1991    }

@Article{shvo93,
 author = {Shapiro, V. and Vossler, D. L.},
 title = {Separation for boundary to {CSG} conversion},
 journal = {ACM Transactions on Graphics},
 volume = 12,
 number = 1,
 month = jan,
 year = 1993,
 pages = {35--55}}

The first reference is probably sufficient for your purposes.
The second deals  more with curved solids.
There is also an implementation of the general conversion procedure for
solids bounded by planar and quadric halfspaces that can be modified
to produce this form of CSG only.   The implementation requires use of
Parasolid kernel and is publicly available from Cornell or from U. Wisconsin.

Cheers,

-Vadim

Vadim Shapiro
Mechanical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1513 University Avenue,  Madison, WI  53706  SA
phone: (608) 262-3591,   fax: (608) 265-2316
vshapiro at engr.wisc.edu   http://sal-cnc.me.wisc.edu/