Detecting Intersections of orientated boxes

Dickinson, John John.Dickinson at nrc.ca
Wed Dec 1 14:19:54 PST 1999

I am looking for any references on intersection detection algorithms for
orientated boxes in 3D space, especially optimised algorithms for time
critical simmulation applications.

I have puzzled out some of the basics:
	Given two boxes of differing dimensions (length1, height1, width1)
and (length2, height2, width2) positioned and orientated arbitrarily in
space we want to quickly/cheaply determine if they intersect or not.

Current best thought:
	Projects the edges of one box on three planar surfaces defined by
three prependicular faces of the second box and look for overlaps of the
projected lines with the rectanglar 2-D profile of the second box.

	Assuming I do this I would like any references to the fastest public
domain line intersection checks.  I believe there is one in a volume of
Graphics Gems but I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

John

--
-((Insert standard disclaimer here))-|- Washington Irving (1783-1859) -
John Kenneth Dickinson               |   "A sharp tongue is the only