Seeking reviewers for NSF's Information Technology Research Initiative

Joseph Mitchell jsbm at ams.sunysb.edu
Mon Nov 29 11:43:23 PST 1999

Seeking reviewers for NSF's Information Technology Research Initiative

NSF is preparing for the review of proposals submitted to the Information
Technology Research (ITR) initiative for FiscalYear 2000.  The success of
this program depends critically on our ability to enlist the help of expert
reviewers such as you to help us identify the outstanding proposals.  We
are building a pool of reviewers qualified in IT-related research
areas.  ITR is a new $90M NSF initiative that aims to promote fundamental
research in information technology, encouraging in particular research
spanning information technology and scientific applications, and in the
area of social, ethical and workforce issues.  Specific areas include: 1)
software; 2) information technology education and workforce; 3)
human-computer interface; 4) information management; 5) advanced
computational science; 6) scalable information infrastructure; 7) social
and economic implications of information technology; and 8) revolutionary
computing.  The ITR Program Solicitation can be found on the NSF Web Page
at http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1999/nsf99167/nsf99167.htm

The Fiscal Year 2000 competition requires the submission of preproposals by
January 5, 2000 for all PIs who plan to submit full proposals requesting
more than $500K.  The preproposals will be panel-reviewed during the week
of February 7, 2000 at three locations: 1) at NSF in Arlington, VA; 2) at a
location in Chicago, IL near O'Hare Airport; and 3) at a location to be
determined in the San Francisco area.  Based on the results of the
preproposal screening, approximately 120 full proposals will be encouraged
for submission by April 17, 2000.  Full proposals will be panel reviewed at
NSF on May 22, 2000.

A separate competition is being organized for those proposals requesting
less than $500K for the full duration of the award.  For this category of
proposal, no preproposal is required.  Proposals requesting less than $500K
are due at NSF on February 14, 2000.   They will be reviewed during the
weeks of March 20 and March 27, 2000.

We would like to consider you as a potential panelist for this activity. If
you are involved in a proposal submitted to any area of ITR, as PI, co-PI
or otherwise as a participant, you are ineligible to serve as a panelist.
However, persons who are submitting proposals only to the more than $500K
competition can serve as panelists to review proposals less than $500K and
vice versa.  We welcome panelists from foreign countries, national
laboratories, and industry.

**IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING PLEASE ACT TODAY!********

Indicate your availability, and provide us with your information by
completing the ITR Panelist Entry Form at the following URL:
http://www.itr.nsf.gov/panelist  . We urge you to fill out the form
immediately, since we will start to select panelists for the February 7
panel meetings within the next few days.  NSF will pay all travel costs in
addition to $130 per travel day and $260 per panel day.  If you have other
questions related to serving as a panelist, please refer to the FAQ section
of the ITR Home page at http://www.itr.nsf.gov/it2-faq.html .  Finally, we
would also appreciate it if you could forward this request to other
well-qualified IT scientists who you think may be interested.

Since ITR is a large-scale competition, and we have a number of people
involved in seeking panelists, we apologize if more than one person
contacts you in this regard.

We look forward to your reply,
Sincerely, The ITR Working Group
E-mail: itr at nsf.gov