Vacant Posts -- University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, SA

Ian Sanders ian at cs.wits.ac.za
Mon May 8 14:11:47 PDT 2000

                 Department of Computer Science
                University of the Witwatersrand,
                        Johannesburg,
                        South Africa
                 ==============================

Looking to fill positions at the following levels
Senior Lecturer / Lecturer / Senior Tutor / Tutor

Description
-----------
        The Department is one of the premier departments
	in the country.  We are playing a leading role in curriculum
	development internationally and we have developed international
	research links in a number of areas.  We have a challenging
	environment as an important discipline in our transforming
	society.  Our mission is to address our dynamic African needs both
	in developing highly educated students and research in computer
	science.  The University has recognised this by giving us
	additional posts to help us grow our important discipline.

	We currently have four positions available two at senior lecturer
	and two at lecturer / senior tutor level.  We would welcome
	applications at tutor level for an appointment against a lecturer
	level post.

Duties
------
        An important aspect of these posts will be to undertake
	teaching in our undergraduate, higher diploma and postgraduate
	programmes. We encourage all staff to undertake research but those
	wishing to apply for senior lecturer and lecturer are required to.
	Senior tutors and tutors will be expected to help more with student
	support if their career path is more focused on teaching.

Qualifications
--------------
        Minimum requirement for lecturer and senior
	lecturer is a PhD. We will be happy to consider a candidate who is
	close to completion of a PhD. We would like to see evidence of
	research and teaching -- in the case of an application for senior
	lecturer this will be essential.  For the tutor track a
	postgraduate qualification as well as teaching experience is
	necessary.

Salary Range
------------
        Senior lecturer: R93 672-R12 4392
	Lecturer / Senior tutor R68 052 - R109 944
	Tutor R43 608-R70 080

Benefits
--------
        Possibility of salary subvention (in the region of 10% of
	salary), annual bonus, generous leave, retirement fund, medical aid,
	housing subsidy (if eligible), relocation allowance, 100% financial
	assistance towards dependants' University studies (if
	applicable)

        Submit a detailed CV with names, addresses and contact
	numbers of three referees and certified copies of degrees/diplomas
	to: The personnel Office (Academic), University of the
	Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, WITS, 2050.

Closing Date: 30 June 2000.

For more information email conrad at cs.wits.ac.za or reply to this posting.

Ian Sanders                         Telephone:  (2711) 717-6187
Department of Computer Science      Fax:        (2711) 717-6199
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3                       email:    ian at cs.wits.ac.za
2050 WITS SOUTH AFRICA            http://www.cs.wits.ac.za/~ian