minimum bounding box for a convex polygon

Paul Henning phenning at lanl.gov
Thu Nov 16 16:10:44 PST 2000

It should be noted that Gottschalk's algorithm produces an _approximate_
minimum bounding box.   Unfortunately, it will bound a polygon like
[(1,0),(0,1),(-1,0),(0,-1)] by an axis-aligned box, which is not a great
bound.   All that being said, I haven't found a better approach for 3-D.
O'Rourke has an algorithm in:

@Article{orourke,
  author =       {O'Rourke, Joseph},
  title =        {Finding Minimal Enclosing Boxes},
  journal =      {International Journal of Computer and Information Sciences},
  year =         1985,
  volume =       14,
  number =       3,
  pages =        {183--199},
}

for true minimal boxes, but it is a bit tricky to implement.

Paul