Silhouette of a facetted polyhedra

Dickinson, John John.Dickinson at nrc.ca
Wed Apr 11 15:05:55 PDT 2001

More unfortunately for me is that I don't have neighbourhood information for
the model and in fact never did.

I am working with a non-convex polyhedra, described by a list of triangles
described by their vertices.  No shared edge or vertex information exists,
the polyhedra could potentially have holes/missing facets, as well as assume
shapes like donuts with holes through them.

Initial attempts to address this problem can be off-line (non-real time)
though.

Kind of a sticky problem.

So far the best suggestion for my particular set of circumstances came from
Guenter Rote
with "The simplest thing to suggest is a planesweep of the projection by a
vertical plane with increasing x-coordinate, maintaining the intersection
intervals with each triangle.
This works for an unrelated collection of triangles. You can accumulate the
area and momentum that are needed for the centroid as you go. There are more
advanced methods for computing unions of triangles, but they are probably
not good for practice."

Still non-trivial to implement but not too costly for pre-processing.
John