ACIS - parameters on a spherical surface

Ang Pin Yang pin_yang at qub.ac.uk
Sun Dec 2 01:00:27 PST 2001

Hello all, I am having a problem in using ACIS geometric modelling package.
Hope you all can enlighten me.

>From what I know, when a CAD spherical surface is exported to ACIS format
(*.sat), ACIS will use the surface's orthogonal circumcircles (both with the
sphere center as its center) as the u and v axis (u,v serve as the parameters).

My problem is, if I got a {u,v} coordinate, and I want to find the
corresponding 3D position on this spherical surface. The ACIS interface will,
occasional, return a point which is not at the expected location, because there
are two points on this surface have the same {u,v} value.

Can anyone please tell me how to handle this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Pin Yang

Ang Pin Yang
Finite Element Modeling Group
School of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
The Queen's University of Belfast
Ashby Building
Stranmillis Road
Belfast BT9 5AH