Analytic formulas for distance between geometric shapes.

Gabriel Taubin taubin at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 16 13:38:48 PDT 2002

You may be interested in these two papers that I wrote quite a while
ago. The problem was to decide which pixels are cut by an algebraic
curve. The approach was based on good (fast, accurate, etc.)
approximations to the distance from the center of the pixel to the
curve (works for higher dimmensions too). The main problem was to make
sure the singularities were properly dealt with.

An Accurate Algorithm for Rasterizing Algebraic Curves and Surfaces,
by G. Taubin.
IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, March 1994.

Distance approximations for Rasterizing Implicit Curves,
by G. Taubin.
ACM Transactions on Graphics, January 1994

You can download the papers from the publications page in my IBM
web site. You will also find a Java applet demo there that you can
play with.

 Dr. Gabriel Taubin                             taubin at computer.org
 IBM T. J. Watson Research Center               taubin at us.ibm.com
 P.O.Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598        cell : (914)-217-7378
 http://www.research.ibm.com/people/t/taubin    phone: (914)-784-7095
                                                fax  : (914)-784-7667