Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Computer Science

Lucia K. Dale ldale at sewanee.edu
Fri Dec 13 11:38:54 PST 2002

Hello, All

The ad included below appears in the Dec'02 Communications of the ACM.
I'd just like to add in my 2 cents about Sewanee.  I've been at the
University for two years now and I really love it here.  The area is
geographically stunning -- very much like living in the middle
of a national park.  We have lots of hiking and outdoor activity
opportunities.

The school itself is a well-endowed liberal arts school.  Teaching is
of primary importance but excellent research funding and support also
is possible.  I've recently been awarded a 3 year NSF grant specifically
targeted to research at undergraduate universities.  The students here
are smart and engaged and class sizes are small so you can do a lot
with your students.

Feel free to email me or call me direct if you have questions
before applying directly to my department head as suggested in the
ad below.

Cheers

- --
Lucia K. Dale
Asst. Professor, Computer Science
University of the South
735 University Avenue
Sewanee, TN  37383-1000
(931) 598-1814

Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Computer Science

Applications are invited for a tenure track position in
computer science to begin Fall 2003. Outstanding candidates
at all levels from all areas of specialization in Computer
Science will be considered.

The University of the South, commonly known as Sewanee, is a
highly selective liberal arts college of 1300 students. The
student faculty ratio is 11 to 1 while the endowment per student
is among the highest in the nation. Located on a 10,000 acre
forested domain in the Tennessee uplands, the University offers
extensive hiking, caving, birdwatching and other outdoor
opportunities. The University was established in 1857 by
southern dioceses of the Episcopal church.

The Department offers B.A.'s and B.S.'s in computer science
and/or mathematics. Students participate in an expanding
program of undergraduate research initiatives and former
students attend some of the best graduate schools in the country.
Currently we have 3 Computer Science faculty and conduct NSF
funded undergraduate research projects in robotics,
graphics, and data mining.

Candidates should have a Ph.D. in Computer Science and a strong
commitment to both teaching and research in a four-year
liberal arts college. Applications from minority and women
candidates are especially encouraged. The University of the
South is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.

Applicants should send a letter clarifying reasons for interest
in a liberal arts college and exploring teaching and research
emphases. Also include a complete resume, and have at least three
letters of recommendation sent by email to

         lalvarez at sewanee.edu

or by hard copy to

         Laurence Alvarez
         The University of the South