Analytic formulas for distance between geometric shapes.

John C Hart jch at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 31 11:11:30 PDT 2002

Here's some more references:

This paper has a bunch of distance algorithms for a variety of
primitives in its appendix:
J.C. Hart. Sphere tracing: A geometric method for the antialiased ray
tracing of implicit surfaces. The Visual Computer 12 (10), Dec. 1996,
pp. 527-545. Available online at:
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~jch/papers/zeno.ps.gz

Some optimizations are also available in:
S. Worley, J.C. Hart. Hyper-rendering of hyper-textured surfaces. Proc.
of Implicit Surfaces '96 , Oct. 1996, pp. 99-104.
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~jch/papers/hyper.pdf

There's also a really nice book I just bought at SIGGRAPH that has a
chapter devoted to computing distance functions and finding their
stationary points (to find the closest distance from a point to all of
the points on a surface).

	Nicholas M. Patrikalakis & Takashi Maekawa. Shape Interrogation
	for Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing. Springer, 2002.
	ISBN: 3540424547.

Good luck,
-John