computational geometry proofs; systems of equations

Robert Lewis lewis at bway.net
Mon Dec 6 15:03:23 PST 2004

Hello,

I am interested in establishing geometrical results (not necessarily
theorems) by computer algebra, specifically via the solution of
multivariate polynomial equations.  I have used the Dixon resultant
technique to do so, for example,

Lewis, Robert H. and Stephen Bridgett, "Conic Tangency Equations and
Apollonius Problems in Biochemistry and Pharmacology," Mathematics and
Computers in Simulation 61(2) (2003) p. 101-114. pdf version here:
www.bway.net/~lewis/lewbrid.pdf

Some computational geometric proofs using a different technique are on
the web site http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/maplearticles/f197.html.

I wonder if anyone has tried (with such techniques) before to prove
Ptolemy's theorem: For a quadalateral inscribed in a circle, let d1 and
d2 be the (lengths of the) diagonals, d3 and d4 one pair of opposite
sides, d5 and d6 the other. Then d1*d2 = d3*d4 + d5*d6.

I have done so by getting 9 equations in the 6 di and 8 other variables
that represent the sine and cosine of various angles. The resultant is
indeed d1*d2 - d3*d4 - d5*d6. It takes about 40 minutes cpu time to do
it.

I have also proved the converse: assuming d1*d2 - d3*d4 - d5*d6 = 0,
the quadralateral is on a circle. This actually takes far less time,
about five minutes.

Also, is there any information on similar three dimensional results?

Regards,

Robert H. Lewis
Fordham University
http://www.bway.net/~lewis/