Simple Analytic Geom Question

Ted Hill thill at tomotherapy.com
Tue Nov 23 13:06:59 PST 2004

Hello,

This is a 2D problem in the x, y plane.

My inputs are:

circle radius (same for both circles A & B)
center point for circle A
center point for circle B

What I want to find are:

The corner points of the rectangle that satisfies the following:

The four points lie on the circles (2 on each circle, at opposite ends
of a diameter) such that

2 sides of the rectangle are parallel to the line that joins the center
points of the circles.

The other two sides of the rectangle are diameters of the circles.

I need to run this repeatedly as the mouse moves, so I am looking for a
fairly efficient way to calculate the four corners of my rectangle.

Thank you,

Ted Hill