Linear mapping of sliced hyperbox

Yaron Berman yaronber at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Oct 8 15:42:52 PDT 2004

Thanks,
But I think the assumption is not true. Look at the following counter
example in R^3 -> R^2:
The hyperbox is [-1,1]*[-1,1]*[-1,1]
The (closed) halfspace is H = { (x1,x2,x3) in R^3 | x3 <= 0 }
The transformation matrix is (1 0 0.5;
					0 1 0.5)
The transformation projects the plane x3=0 to the entire plane in R^2,
because the first two column vectors are linearly independent.
So the intersection of the halfspace projection with the original
zonogon leaves the zonogon the same, while the zonogon defined by the
transformation on [-1,0]*[-1,0]*[-1,1] is definitely different.

Regards,
Yaron

> Isn't it true that p(hypercube ^ halfspace) = p(hypercube) ^
p(halfspace)
> ?
> where p(x) -> y projects an n-dimensional volume x into a
2-dimensional